Monday 15 April 2013

Wedding disco with a band, Coombe Lodge near Bristol, 12th April 2013

So this was my fourth visit to the beautiful Coombe Lodge in the past 12 months - and as usual I was sharing the bill with a band. Not a ceilidh band this time but a rock covers band known as 'The Jacks'. The band were playing the couples first dance so I only had to set-up, play some background music until everyone was ready and then sit back enjoy the show - first the first hour at least.

I can think of worse views whilst waiting to take my turn
The band were great and covered all of the usual rock songs that I'd play in a traditional wedding set - Rolling Stones, Bryan Adams, Blur, Oasis and AC/DC to name but a few. The bride and groom were big fans of the 90's brit pop scene (especially Oasis) so this went down a storm with that age group of guests.
The Jacks rock Coombe Lodge
Then it was my turn to keep the pace of the evening going. Initially I played some older tracks to try and encourage the older guests to get involved but they'd been scared out of the room by the very loud (but very good) rock band. So with that route abandoned I concentrated on the audience I did have and kept it modern.

After the bands final set I played a range of music from the list provided to me from the bride and groom - this included Oasis, Crowded House and the music from the Gillette advert 'The best a man can get' by Joe Esposito ...twice. Apparently this was quite an anthem for the lads. Finally refusing to leave the dancefloor the ensembled guests kept me DJ'ing past Coombe Lodge's 12.15am cut off point as (naturally) we had to end the night with another Oasis song.

UPDATE:
This week I received a lovely email from the Groom, almost 2 months after the event. What a long honeymoon!

"Everyone had a really good night and the selection of music was spot on to keep everyone, young & old on the dance floor!  Thanks for making the booking process easy and keeping us informed in the run up, as you can imagine we had lots on our minds!
Thanks for playing on later and finishing on oasis for me!"

///////////// BAND PLAYS FIRST DANCE FOLLOWED BY 1 HOUR SET /////////////

21:05 : The Monkees - I'm A Believer
21:07 : Small Faces - Sha La La La Lee
21:10 : The Kinks - You Really Got Me
21:12 : Frankie Valli & The Four Seas - December '63 (Oh What A Night)
21:15 : Bee Gees - Night Fever
21:19 : Michael Jackson - Billy Jean
21:23 : Mark Ronson Feat. Amy Winehouse - Valerie
21:27 : Plan B - She Said
21:30 : Mark Morrison - Return Of The Mack
21:34 : Beats International
21:34 : Dizzee Rascal - Bassline Junkie
21:41 : LMFAO - Sexy & I Know It
21:46 : The Black Eyed Peas - I Gotta Feeling
21:50 : Rihanna - Only Girl (In The World)
21:52 : Maroon 5 - Moves Like Jagger
21:57 : Carly Rae Jepsen - Call Me Maybe

///////////// BAND PLAYS SECOND 1 HOUR SET /////////////


23:00 : Montell Jordan - This Is How We Do It
23:03 : House Of Pain - Jump Around
23:06 : Flo Rida - Low
23:10 : Rod Stewart - Maggie May
23:15 : Joe Esposito - You're The Best
23:18 : Kung Foo Fighting - Kool And The Gang - Kung Foo Fighting
23:21 : MC Hammer - U Can't Touch This
23:24 : DJ Jazzy Jeff & The Fresh Pri - Boom! Shake The Room
23:27 : Pato Banton And The Reggae Revolution With Ali & Robin Campbell - Baby Come Back
23:31 : Shaggy - Boombastic
23:35 : Joe Esposito - You're The Best
23:38 : Rihanna - We Found Love
23:41 : Avicii - Levels
23:42 : Dizzee Rascal & Armand Van Helden - Bonkers
23:46 : Yolanda Be Cool - We No Speak Americano
23:47 : Avicii vs. Nicky Romero - I Could Be The One
23:52 : Bob Marley - One love
23:54 : Bill Medley & Jennifer Warnes - (I've Had) The Time Of My Life
23:58 : Frank Sinatra - New York, New York
00:02 : UB40 Feat. Chrissie Hynde - I Got You Babe
00:05 : Oasis - Champagne Supernova
00:11 : Crowded House - Weather With You
00:15 : Journey - Don't Stop Believin'
00:19 : Bon Jovi - Living On A Prayer
00:23 : Oasis - Wonderwall

No comments:

Post a Comment